- 12 Oct 2023
- 1 Minute to read
Silent App Installation
- Updated on 12 Oct 2023
- 1 Minute to read
For corporate-owned devices, Silent Application Installation becomes an important feature. This allows you to make sure that the devices all have the applications that you want them to with user interaction.
For iOS devices, Silent installation is possible via two mechanisms,
- Purchasing & Distributing applications through Apple VPP Program - If your organization has enrolled in the Apple VPP program, then you can use Scalefusion to silently install both free and paid applications. You can read more about it in the How to Setup VPP guide.
- Silent Installation of non-VPP Applications- This document explains how to enable silent installation if your organization is not a part of the Apple VPP program. Please read on further as we explain how to achieve this for Supervised devices.Please note Enterprise Apps does not require an iTunes account on the device and will always be installed silently.
Please watch the video below to get a visual walkthrough.
Configuring iTunes Account
Distributing the applications from the iTunes store would require a valid iTunes account to be configured on the device. If an iTunes account is not configured, then the first application is published from the Apple App Store from the Scalefusion Dashboard. The users would see a dialog to configure the iTunes Account.
Configuring iTunes Settings
For silent installations to happen for all Free applications, please follow the below steps on the iOS Device,
- Open Settings on an iOS device.
- Click on the iTunes Account that you just configured.
- On this screen, click on iTunes & App Store.
- Now click on Password Settings.
- Select either Always Require or Require After 15 Minutes - This is for paid content and not applicable for Free apps.
- With Step 5 above, the option to Enable/Disable Require Password will be enabled. Disable the Always Require Password option.
This will silently install the applications.